Improving the Spins process

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 17 20:21:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> 2) While discussing some of the shortcomings of using wiki categories
> to track progress on Spins, we also talked about the Features process
> and how it too might benefit from using a ticketing system to track
> progress of features.  As I understand it, Robyn (as the Fedora
> Program Manager) already opens a FESCo ticket for each feature (so
> that it's on the FESCo agenda), but uses wiki categories to track the
> state (proposed, accepted, rejected, etc.) of each feature.  Is there
> interest in moving the features process over to using tickets for
> keeping track of the feature state, and keeping the discussion about
> the feature in one easy-to-find location, rather than having it
> scattered across talk pages, wiki pages, and FESCo meeting minutes?

It appears I've confused at least a few people with this idea, so let
me see if I can clarify a few points here:

* I'm _not_ suggesting that we get rid of Feature pages on the wiki.
I'm only suggesting that we move away from use wiki categories for
tracking the state of the feature, and track them using a custom field
in a ticketing system such as Trac.
* As the Fedora Program Manager already creates a ticket in FESCo's
Trac instance, this seems like the ideal place to track the feature
state.
* While this idea spun out (sorry for the terrible pun) from the Spins
process discussion in Milan, it's really independent of the Spins
proposal.

If you have other questions or concerns, please let me know!

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader