Use of Fedora logo in Boxes project

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:31:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:18:41AM -0500, Tom Callaway wrote:

> Now, with that said, if (and ONLY if), each of the trademark holders
> gave explicit and documented permission for their trademarks to be used
> in the manner that Boxes desires, then that use would be considered
> acceptable to Fedora/Red Hat.
>
> I have consulted with Red Hat Legal on whether it would be acceptable to
> grant permission for Fedora's trademarks to be used in the specific
> situation that Boxes has requested (using the Fedora logo in addition to
> the Fedora wordmark to indicate Fedora VM instances in the User
> Interface). Their advice was that Fedora can give permission if it
> wishes, via the Fedora Board. Please note that this would not be a

[..]

> Red Hat Legal also pointed out that they felt it would be incredibly
> unlikely that all of the other trademark holders would agree to a
> similar arrangement, and to make it clear that it would not be
> acceptable to use any trademarks in this manner without receiving
> explicit permission, even temporarily while waiting to receive that
> explicit permission.
>
> I hope this helps clarify things somewhat.

Thanks spot, this does clarify most of the questions I had from reading the
thread.  One further question -- when you talk about "all of the other
trademark holders", are you talking about other holders of the Fedora
Trademarks or holders of trademarks for the other distributions?

I've had to read this a few times but I think what your saying is:

1) To use the Fedora Logo, Boxes would need to get explicit permission from
the Board for their specific use case.

2) In order for Boxes to be packaged and shipped in Fedora, each trademark
holder for each distro logo would need to give similar explicit permission.
This would likely come up when the package goes through package review.

Is that correct?

-Toshio