Draft Trademark Guidelines Question

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 03:48:26 UTC 2012

I'm not going to send this to legal directly unless someone suggests
that I should but I'd like to ask a question about the proposed
guidelines the Board is now considering.

There has been a small change in the Business Cards section but my
question actually applies to the existing guidelines as well as to the
proposed draft version. For reference here are links to both:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Business_cards
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pchestek/TMGuidelinesDraft#Business_cards

In both cases the prohibition against using any business cards other
than ones produced using the fedora-business-cards package feels oddly
heavy-handed. In many other places where you want to step outside of
the explicitly stated use you are given the option of requesting Board
approval for your proposed use. I assume the goal here is mainly to
not mix the Fedora trademarks with other business trademarks but why
does any variation from those specified as acceptable require a change
in guidelines rather than a simple approval granted by the Board?

While I know legal advice isn't given here I can't help but mumble
that I hope I don't live in a world where I can't write on a little
piece of paper that I am a member of the Fedora Project when in fact I
am a member of the Fedora Project. And I understand that the
guidelines don't trump fair use of trademarks and that no one will
likely tell me whether this is or is not a fair use of this trademark.
Maybe I will be surprised?!

John