Board question regarding non-software goods.

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 23 15:44:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 08:08 -0600, inode0 wrote:
> The point though is that we comply with the usage guidelines, not that
> we check with the design team who are mostly other community members
> and who mostly aren't legal authorities. If tomorrow Mo proposed this
> and were no longer a member of the design team I think it would be a
> waste of time to tell her to go get her artwork approved by the design
> team and I would not have asked her to do that because I already have
> great confidence she knows what she is doing.

Okay, so I just sent off a separate reply to Christoph's message before
seeing this one (sorry) but I did want to clarify when I say someone
should send such-and-such to the design team for approval, I don't mean
that so much as to say you should go run over there and get some rubber
stamp for the sake of getting a rubber stamp.

I mean more you should have someone who understands the printing process
and knows what to check for looking it over to avoid easily-prevented
mistakes. Someone who has been working with the Fedora logo artwork long
enough to be able to spot incorrect colors and fonts from a mile away.
While such a person doesn't have to be on the Fedora design team, I
don't actually know anybody who has this understanding of the Fedora
logo who isn't on the Fedora design team or at least who doesn't watch
the team mailing list.

Those sorts of things are going to be extremely difficult for someone
new to the project to check for / understand on their own.

Things to look for:

- Is the correct font being used? (Cantarell for body text, Comfortaa
for headlines / slugs)

- Are all fonts converted to paths or otherwise embedded?

- Is the colorspace set to CMYK?

- Are the Fedora logo colors reflecting the correct values? The four
foundations' / FUDcon colors?

- Has the logo been modified in any way that isn't explicitly approved?
Things to look for here include keylines and borders (not allowed),
mixing with other logos (not allowed), spacing issues (bad), has the
logo been scaled so the 'TM' marks are unreadable (bad)?

- Is the file format correct and to the printer's specifications? If
applicable, are appropriate bleeds and crop marks set in the file?

With the frisbee design, one glance at the mockup and I can see the
colors used are not correct.

~m