internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was Re: FUDcon Board Meeting)

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 16 19:40:25 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

Regarding adding a statement about SOPA on the front page of
fedoraproject.org -

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 13:29 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Jared is writing the statement, when he has it ready he will file the
> appropriate tickets to get the site updated.

We were talking about this in #fedora-design, a few points came up:

- Jared, can you write the statement with the broad header of 'Interent
Censorship', mentioning *both* SOPA and PIPA since both are threats?

- From a website design point-of-view, the best way of incorporating the
statement is to have a heading about it in the orange ticker tape on the
website as well as have the default slide in the main slide area that
relates to internet censorship. Both should click through to the
statement Jared is writing.

- Does anybody have ideas for graphics to go along with the slide text?
Some ideas we had:

  - keep it completely black or a black gradient
  - have a black background with outlines of people that have 'censored'
labels on top of them (and maybe put an outline of beefy somewhere in
there too)
  - (okay this is silly) have an artsy-looking field of hot dog-less
buns

What do you think?

~m