[Design-team] internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was Re: FUDcon Board Meeting)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:41:23 UTC 2012

On 18 January 2012 07:12, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 17 January 2012 21:39, Mairin Duffy Strode <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> At this point we can't change the text because we go live in almost 2 hours and need legal approval for any changes.... It's almost 10 pm in legal tz. Should we simply abort mission? Nirik and/or Ian is going to pull the trigger at midnight ET US so if the board would rather there no message at all can you let Kevin and Ian know in #fedora-admin?
>>>

>> Thankyou Mairin for getting this done. I would have preferred the way
>> the OpenSuSE board and website went but I am glad we have something
>> there.
>
> We discussed a number of options at the board meeting. We decided not
> to do a black out on one specific day because the Fedora project is a
> global project and not US specific. There are a lot of countries with
> many Fedora contributors that have a lot worse than the SOPA/PIPA
> legislation every day, there is also a number of countries that have
> similar legislation going through process as well. It was for those

Yes, the board may have discussed that and quite heatedly but I have
figured I should register my opinion to the board about their
decision.

 I have learned from long experience that general protests about
things that concern people don't get very far and fall apart. If you
are going to protest make it something specific and pointed and
something you can measure whether it was effective or not. Pretty much
all the things that were said about last years goals.

I have said my piece on this, done my specific protest, and I am
moving on to stuff I can try to fix elsewhere.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd