FUDcon Board Meeting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 23:06:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 01:14:11AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 01/19/2012 12:41 AM, David Nalley wrote:
>

> > From my POV the move in question doesn't necessarily achieve anything
> > in the vision or further Fedora's goals.
>
> We disagree on that.  Point 1 and 2 in the vision requires open tools.

Since duckduckgo isn't open, are you saying that 1 and 2 are not applicable?

> Privacy is a important corollary to 3 in the vision statement.  Vision
> statements don't mean much without any followup actions. I cannot name
> even one.

Reading the duckduckgo faq, it seems like their main thrust is that they
keep less information about search patterns than google.  While that can be
nice if you want to maintain anonymity, it could be a feature-reducing
limitation if you (the user) do not care.  If the service did everything
that google did but allowed the user to purge the data associated with them
at the click of a button that would seem like a step forward instead of
a step sideways.

I'm also not certain that I would want to apply "people control their
content and devices" to data that other people have collected.  The data
collected isn't "my content" in the sense that I would have a copyrightable
right to it, for instance, which is more along the lines of how I read that
vision statement goal.

Maybe "[A world where] people can have a reasonable expectation of privacy"
belongs in there as a separate vision goal.  Then again, maybe it
doesn't....

> > This isn't a case of the board skipping out on it's responsibility
> > IMO, but rather the board trying to stay out of the way and not
> > wanting to micromanage every last decision to be made.
>
> Perhaps. I think the board has ventured too far out of taking on any
> responsibility and I would prefer to see a much more active board.  To
> be accused of micro managing, one needs to manage in the first place.

To put in a counter -- I don't think the Board has any business trying to
manage at all.  Lead, yes.  Manage, no.

-Toshio