Regarding personnel changes in Fedora

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 16:07:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:40 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> So people that get paid to work on Fedora are called fedora personal while
> the individuals that contribute their own free time are not .
>
> That's... Interesting to say the least..

Not really.  Even in the volunteer driven non-profit world.. there is
always some language that differentiates paid staffers from
volunteers. Treating these people the same is incongruity with the
reality of how large volunteer focused efforts work.

I don't care if its a sports club, or the boy scouts, or a church.. or
whatever. Don't get too hung up on the labels or the terminology.  I
fully expect that at some point in the growth of any volunteer centric
effort, critical tasks for ANY organization that makes use of
volunteer labor will end up needing paid staff that provide planning
and project continuity and much need cat herding.

If you get hung up on what we call those people in this community, you
are doing it wrong.

if you  need to understand the purpose of a specific defined role...
then please ask for clarification on that.

if you need to understand the process how Red Hat internally decides
on how to internally allocate resources for fedora tasked employee
time.. then please ask for clarification on that.

if you need to understand how Fedora as a (larger than just Red Hat's
interest) would encourage _any_ individual business who want to
contribute as a  business to provide staffed manpower. Or how such a
business should engage with Fedora governance to fill a needed fedora
tasked role inside their own fenceline... please ask for clarification
on that.

But don't get hung up on the terminology on what we called paid
staffers and what we call volunteers.
-jef