Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 19 06:15:26 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-18 19:43, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> That being said, I would also prefer we not emphasize the code names
> nearly as much as we do, and instead emphasize the features present in
> each release. It is really sad, for example, how far many more people
> associate Fedora 17 with hotdogs than with any single one of the awesome
> new features present in it. (My favorites: Gimp 2.8 and Calligra Flow!)

While I agree with your reasoning, my impression is that Fedora 17 is
the exception rather than the rule, and in general it doesn't even come
close to the pervasiveness of many other distros' code names.  Are there
really that many people out there who still remember Fedora 14's, for
instance?  I used that release nearly every day for a year and I still
had to look it up, but I can list every Ubuntu code name even though
I've never even used the distro before.  It doesn't seem particularly
fair to generalize based only on recent experiences, especially when
said experiences seem to be primarily due to the added attention we got
from choosing a name that is much more silly than most.

Of course if I'm completely out of touch with reality then I could
really use a nice, healthy dose of it.  8^)

--
Garrett Holmstrom