Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

Pam Chestek pchestek at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 20:25:00 UTC 2012

On 7/24/2012 3:11 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 20:56 +0200, Emilio Lopez wrote:
>>> I love the idea of using scientists, explorers, writers (not just
>>> sci-fi), artists...anything really that pushes the boundaries of the
>>> human experience...and not just people, Leonidas was a (or several
>>> really) ship too.
>>> Also, I would have to say that so far my favourite Fedora artwork is
>> >from Verne ;-)
>>
>> I fully agree with that. I was thinking in this exactly naming scheme
>> Scientists, explorers, writers, artists...
>> I would like to have a Fedora Newton or a Fedora Dali.
> Unfortunately, while there are several 'famous people' schemes proposed
> on the wiki, you'll note they're in the section vetoed by legal. I think
> using names of people is problematic for that reason, so we need to
> avoid it AFAIK.
This is  correct.  Names are more difficult to clear from a legal
perspective because, not only do you have to worry about trademark
rights, you have to worry about the right of publicity too.  These types
of rights are becoming more commonly enforced, even in cases where a
now-dead person would never have conceived of the fact that they have
such a right (Einstein and Amelia Earhart are two in that category that
come to mind) - but their families have.  So it's extra difficult for us
to clear them and the clearance rate will be lower.  My greatest
happiness with "Beefy Miracle" was that it wasn't a person's name (no
offense, Beefy!!).

Pam