Fedora naming proposal

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 16:23:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Jon Ciesla <limburgher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting.

>>> I like it, but difficult to do with many elements.  The only thing I
>>> can think of that rhymes with oxygen is doxygen.
>>
>> doesn't xen rhyme with oxygen? Or is oxygen like orange
>
> True.  It's things ending in 'inium' that get hairy.

As I think was pointed out earlier Scientific Linux has used
Beryllium, Boron, and Carbon as its last three code names which would
make a variation of this unappealing to me anyway as it lacks
originality. Sometimes good ideas have just already been taken by
others.

>> In any case, the issue is that elements are trademarked left and
>> right. Planets, mythology, astronomy are trademarked left and right.
>> Which brings up the question.. when does trying to avoid trademark
>> problems take longer and more work than it takes to have something
>> fun? Especially when it is something so ethereal to only last a year
>> to 18 months?
>
> Yeah.  <sigh>

When those doing the work say they won't do it any longer?

John