[Ambassadors] Runoff election for Board seat has begun.

Jon Ciesla limburgher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 13:00:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/12/2012 04:34 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>

>> Well there are several aspects of the election process that don't seem
>> fair and reasonable to me from general and community perspective so
>> let's agree on disagreeing on this topic.
>>
>> In essence I would think we would want to have the greatest diversity in
>> our governing structure otherwise this election will essential still
>> just be popularity contest and feel unwelcome ( and with impossible odds
>> ) to new people that want to participate in it.
>>
>> I would think it was a fair rule to be able to run for all governing
>> body's ( as long as you are not serving in one ) then choose which one
>> you will serve should you get elected to more then one and the runner(s)
>> up would grab that/those seat(s) that the individual chose to leave
>> behind.
>>
>> And in addition to the above I feel that we should have a limit on how
>> many terms the same individual can serve in the same governing body to
>> ensure we always have rotation on new people that bring in fresh
>> perspective, fresh approaches and fresh ideas in those governing body's.
>

> If we consistently had a /lot/ of candidates who were being passed over by
> the "popular" ones, maybe you'd have an argument.  Given that we're seeing a
> struggle to get /anybody/ to fill the open seats and are often voting where
> there is 1 extra candidate beyond seats to fill I really don't thing adding
> any additional barriers to those seats is going to improve matters.

Agreed.  When I ran for FESCO, among my reasons for self-nominating
(other than having ideas about what FESCO should do and delusions that
I had contribution to make) was that the nominee pool was, at that
time, short of what was required to hold the election.

And I got in.

And if I'm what you'd consider popular, I suggest taking a few steps
into the big blue room with the green carpet and having a look-see.

If someone has an interest in seeing fresh blood in Fedora governing
bodies, I suggest that they try to be that fresh blood.

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/