Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 25 14:31:21 UTC 2012

[snip]

>> Of  course, we all know there are times when "forks" are necessary and
>> healthy so these guidelines should not prevent new Fedora related
>> websites to born and prosper, but until there is an established and
>> healthy community web site it should be clear from the beginning that
>> it will continue to be the one referred from fedoracommunity.org.
>

> +1

Yes, and as Andrea explained, the idea is not necessarily to have
official websites.
If we provide several local communities websites, one would probably
grow faster than the other,
we should probably not limit to the registered one.

>> Now for the guidelines part, my guess is that it should cover (in no
>> particular order)
>> * what constitutes a local community site (services, domain, language,
>> etc)
>> * how to find existing existing local communities (and encourage joining
>> them)
>> * how to start a new local community when one is missing or not active
>> * health check procedure (what activities are expected to happen at
>> the local level)
>> * requirements to meet before being listed in fedoracommunity.org
>

> I think the points listed by Gianluca are a good base from where we could
> start. It's also a good idea if this guidelines suggest how to start a new
> local community, because there are several countries where Fedora isn't
> present at all.
> IMHO the "policy" should remain a guideline, as the decision of being or not
> the most rappresentative local community will in any case be taken by the
> end user. In my eyes the end user should ever remain the main goal of any
> Fedora related initiative.
>

>> I know it seems quite a bit of work to do, but I'm pretty sure it is
>> going to pay off in the log term, both in terms of participation to
>> the project and less headaches for all involved parties...
>

> I renew my availability to take part of this workgroup.

Sorry I don't have enough free time,
but I agree, having a clear process to be registered in f.comm.org
would be useful to us (websites) and you (communities).

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)