Fedora naming proposal based on Periodic Table of Elements

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 16:44:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:34 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
>> Not to throw any more flame on the fire, but I really prefer the
>> current method (the one we've used since Fedora's inception). I really
>> dislike the direction this has taken. The current mechanism works just
>> fine for most folks, or they don't care. I think spinning our wheels
>> on a decision to move forward is probably more one of 'why are we
>> doing this again?' syndrome. I'm not sure the connotation analysis
>> that started this conversation really represented the feelings of
>> everyone in the Fedora community. It certainly didn't for me.
>
> The current trend of our naming scheme is highly embarrassing and the
> media unfortunately agrees. Here's one chock full of quotes from
> prominent Fedora contributors who don't like it either:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/488900/

I don't really see this article as evidence the media agrees with
anything. It is an article reporting on what was happening at the time
within Fedora. Most of the comments aren't even on topic and the ones
that are seem pretty mild to my ears.

We can just agree that some people don't like names or the naming
process. That was true before Beefy Miracle as well.

> The folks who came up with the naming scheme themselves have said enough
> is enough.

I think there is a pretty big disconnect between what people think is
the reaction and what people at events representing Fedora see as the
reaction. I know I have not seen anything at all negative personally
at events with non-Fedora people. I only see negativity about the name
internally.

John