Fedora naming proposal based on Periodic Table of Elements

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 11 17:53:18 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 11:44 -0500, inode0 wrote:
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/488900/
>
> I don't really see this article as evidence the media agrees with
> anything. It is an article reporting on what was happening at the time
> within Fedora. Most of the comments aren't even on topic and the ones
> that are seem pretty mild to my ears.

Here's some examples of media and comments from outside the Fedora
community:

"Fedora 17 arrived on Tuesday following a three-week delay. Nicknamed
Beefy Miracle, the Fedora Project promised 'over and under-the-bun
improvements that show off the power and flexibility of the advancing
state of free software.' That's a bold claim for a package with such a
ridiculous name. "
Gavin Clarke, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/30/fedora_17_review/

"I tend to think that name is nearly as bad as "Beefy Miracle" (the
codename Fedora 17 has). And I think the link between the two (¹) is
nearly as dubious as the one between F16 and F17 :-/ I got the feeling
the codenames for Fedora(²) (and RHL) that were selected by some Red Hat
engineers internally tended to be better more often than those that got
selected by Fedora contributors in a vote. I wonder if Fedora should get
(back?) to a model where a few experienced and a few new contributors
(those that do a lot of work) get to suggest names (with input from the
community) and decide the final one when legal gave their blessing to a
few. Sure, that is not a democratic way, but hey, there is a reasons why
meritocratic is used in so many open source projects."
Thorsten Leemhuis,
https://plus.google.com/107616711159256259828/posts/Nxc6kH4UCod

"I suggest that the name of Fedora 19 be "Fedora 19", and that Red Hat
give half of the money this proposal saves them in legal bills to
charity and the other half to their stockholders. If a code name is
required, "Nineteen" will do. "
"Exactly. Codenames are nice if you have good marketing and people
connect the product with the name. Fedora does not do that. So Red hat
should just remove the silly names. "
http://lwn.net/Articles/510090/

"Linux Mint has always been known for beatiful female names.
Ubuntu for exotic and obscure ones.
And finally, Fedora, for weird and sometimes ugly ones. "
Commenter,
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Fedora-17-Will-Be-Named-Beefy-Miracle-226873.shtml

"Such a revulsive name and concept, to find marketing strategies in dead
animal meat."
Commenter,
http://www.internetnews.com/blog/skerner/the-beefy-miracle-begins.-fedora-17-hits-alpha-1.html

"Dumb name. Back handed insult to Hindus and Vegetarians."
Commenter,
http://opensource.com/life/12/5/whats-beefy-miracle-anyway-story-fedora-17-release-name

"Holy cow. Seriously, what is up with these silly names?"
Commenter,
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?70700-Fedora-18-Is-Codenamed-The-Spherical-Cow&highlight=spherical+cow

"how about fixing pulseaudio instead of thinking up meat product names"
"This is indeed as unprofessional as hell. How hard is it to find some
random normal codenames? Pick random flowergarden name (as opposed to
walled garden), from which beauty blossoms."
"I personally am tired with this whole codename concept. To me, code
names are absolutely useless."
"Who would have thought that a naming process open to the general public
would degenerate into 4chan-style retardation? Okay, so a lot of people
(including myself) probably did, but look how long it took!"
"This list is embarrassing, especially as a Fedora user.
"I agree, the way code names are in Fedora are useless. They do not
really symbolize anything about the particular release. The ubuntu
codenames are just as silly as "Beefy Miracle" and this list, but at
least they mean something to the particular release. They certainly are
much better about it than just letting a bunch of random people come up
with an idiotic name and voting for them, that is the sad part, people
actually voted for them."
"I imagine just how depressing it is to look for a representative names
in the sea of such nonsense... "
"Embarrassing."
Various commenters,
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?70496-Fedora-18-Might-Be-A-Frankfurter-Or-Spherical-Cow&highlight=spherical+cow

""Spherical Cow" /FACEPALM !"
"They should have just called it "Silly Name"."
Commenters,
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Fedora-18-Will-Be-Named-Spherical-Cow-267294.shtml

"That's got to be the stupidest name I've ever heard of."
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?62262-Fedora-17-Has-A-Tasty-Codename-Beefy-Miracle&highlight=beefy+miracle

"Linux. Welcome to the land of ******* release names."
"Haha, all possible Fedora names are *****. I approve. Go Spherical
Cow!"
"Fedora 18 Santorum edition"
"Can I vote for "none of the above <puke />"?"
https://plus.google.com/105047371315992982745/posts/SqD8N2x4bzT

"Honestly, I think the name of Fedora 18 is a great **** and I propose
to change it immediately to other more formal and attractive. Project
leaders must change it without any democratic process. Spherical Cows,
what the ****? I propose names inspired in people connected with art or
mithology, I think Verne and Leonidas were great names, but Beefy
Miracle is not serious and Spherical Cows are extremly ridiculous."
"After the hotdog incident, I won't be suggesting or voting on any
names."
https://plus.google.com/112917221531140868607/posts/9kPPBD9hK5g

"People talking about a codename? That's what Fedora really needs, huh?
I heard that each codename has to be approved by RH's legal team. If
this is true, it's a waste of money and time. Enough to stop caring
about codenames altogether."
https://plus.google.com/117529260069625349238/posts/Kc5MnMJoA9g

"...Fedora 17's code name is seriously "Beefy Miracle"? Here I thought
Ubuntu's codenames were pull-words-from-a-hat-tastic."
https://plus.google.com/100290247863975930326/posts/Nv25LituxCF

"This is fake, right?
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting/about/f18-name"
https://plus.google.com/107646837068615384568/posts/Hpjjq5KZbLV

"Jesus ****. When will they start giving them normal names so that users
from windows don't think we're entirely retarded and avoid linux like a
******* plague."
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?74283-Fedora-19-Might-Be-A-Prime-Rib-Or-Crop-Circle#post290119