Code names

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 23:27:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM, PETER ZOELLER <peter_zoeller at rogers.com> wrote:
> In my humble opinion, code names are meaningless and make no sense other
> than assign a pretty name to a distro but tells nothing with respect to the
> distro.  So how meaningful are code names?  Here is the exercise to see?
> Rhyme off in order of development ie. development sequence of each Fedora
> distribution by code name only.  How many can you even remember?  If it is
> so important to have a code name then at least choose a code name that shows
> some kind of progression like a deck of cards.

Hi Peter,

I don't equate something being memorable or even useful with it being
important. Friends often get together for an evening of cards, enjoy
the game and each other's company doing something not intended to be
important - but it is important in my view because of the enjoyment it
brings to those doing it. And I look at the release naming game twice
a year in a similar way. It allows Fedora friends to do something not
very important together that they enjoy doing. So I would rather not
try to make it something important if doing so takes away the
enjoyment of the game.

On the other hand, as all card players know, arguing over the rules of
the game endlessly tends to spoil the game in the end.

We are probably close to the point of needing a different social
activity to replace this one.

John