Next board meeting in 20h

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 17:54:32 UTC 2013

Top-posting for evil's sake:

I'd like to try and walk through two things today.

First: I think that going through a brainstormed idea is difficult, at best, without eventually getting to a point where we can do apples-to-apples comparisons.

Just for a preview here, I've got a sample set which I think we can expand upon, which is basically a step-by-step, need-to-answer-one-question before moving to the next situation. (And I'll note that this is borrowed from a lovely book called "playing to win" - there are a zillion books on strategy, but this is fairly straightforward.)

1: What is our larger goal? (Think vision, mission statements)
2: Where will we play? (target audience)
3: How do we win? (Yes, winning is a loaded statement - think "what are we we going to do, to achieve our goal, while adequately addressing audience needs" - while distinguishing ourselves in a unique way)
4: What capabilities must be in place? (This may be technical in some ways, or other things may be like new marketing methods, different documentation, etc. Basically - this is, in many ways, thinking about the teams that will be affected, that are doing the actual work - so we absolutely need to keep these folks in mind!)
5: This one is ... iffy. "What management systems are required?" - in the corporate world, a lot of this is things like "human resources strategy" - maybe this turns into "how do we better onramp/attract new contributors" ... and also, if we know what success looks like (from #3), things like "having good methods to measure success" would fit in here.

That was a mouthful, but I can go into this more in meeting. I think it's probably a good idea to get a simple set of questions that should be addressed by anything we eventually come up with. We don't have to come up with the full list today, but I'd like to get a feeling as to whether or not folks think this (a) is a good idea, (b) a reasonable starting point for framing any potential solutions.

Second: Per misc's suggestion- and mo's list posted here: http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2013-April/011946.html

I'd like to propose we go through the 5 why's in this meeting - for the majority of the meeting.

Cut and pasted for easiness:

5) "The 5 Whys"

You start off with a problem statement. Our problem statement could be:

"Fedora is not the best platform for building new technology."

As a group, brainstorm a set of reasons why the problem is a problem.
Number each reason.

For each reason, come up with a reason why that reason is a problem.

Continue until you have a chain of 5 whys from the original problem as
to why the problem is a problem.