Follow up on Robyn proposal

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Apr 27 21:59:54 UTC 2013

Le samedi 27 avril 2013 à 11:32 -0500, inode0 a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as proposed by Robyn and discussed in the meeting, we have 1 week to
> > refine and discuss the questions ( not the answers, just questions )
> > that we plan to use to try to define the strategy ( brainstorming is for
> > later, once we have properly defined the problem ).
>
> inode0 impatiently waits for later.
>
> > There is 5 questions, but not all are perfectly fitted to our uses
> > ( because we are not exactly a company with a top down approach :) ),
> > hence the need for refinement and adaptation.
>
> We don't know which questions make sense until we have an idea of what
> we are trying to do.

I think we all kinda agreed that the current userbase statement could be
changed, and in turn, this would have a impact on what Fedora as
community produce.

So now we know we have something to change ( even if, for now, we do not
know where, how, when, we just know we may need to change something ),
we need to know how to go there. For that, we need to define a strategy,
and to define a strategy, we have to express it.

And to express it, the proposal is to express it as answers to the 5
questions.

> I think it is futile to try refining the
> questions before we begin answering the fundamental question. Once we
> know where we would like to go the other questions will fall into
> place as either those Robyn proposed or as refinements of them or as
> additions to them that make sense in a concrete context. These give an
> adequate framework to get started as far as I'm concerned.

Fair enough, so let's take a silly example.

So, let's say ( as a example ) that we want Fedora to be the perfect
distribution for french atmospheric scientists that want to use cloud
computing ( like users of my flatmate ). Due to me being a jedi and
using the Force, I convinced the board that's the way to go.

So now we know where we want to go, do you think that, for the Fedora
community, the 5 questions will permit to define more precisely the
strategy or not, and permit to express more clearly how we go there.

If the answer is "yes", then ok, we keep the questions. If the answer is
"no, the questions are not adapted to us", then how can we adapt them
( add more questions, remove some questions, change them ? ).

And if the answer is "the question are good for this example, but may
not work for another example", then maybe, but could you be more precise
on that another example ?

--
Michael Scherer