Request: ban Harald Reindl from devel@

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu May 23 10:40:27 UTC 2013

On 05/23/2013 09:16 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> I'm gonna be beaten for that but the list admins are not elected and you
> trust them with power allowing to ban/silent people from our lists while
> you've been sending countless (ok, 19) emails asking why the CWG was not
> elected while this group has no power what-so-ever and is there to help
> as a mediation corp. Really?

Yes really.

List admins afaik have always been community members themselves and
during those six years I have been contributing with addition of those
two I was just lurking I have yet to see them misuse their power.

The only think that I can criticize is the way they have been granted
that permission ( usually by ping on irc or simple because they got
hired by Red Hat and some how where auto granted those privileges which
is the case with QA )

I was under the assumption we were dealing with system wide community
member ban ( hence all the discussion how CWG was chosen the community
effects and what not ) and everything involving that not ban on
individual mailing list.

Seriously them not having that power while granting them moderation
power makes absolutely no sense and is like forcing them to take shower
in a rain cote I'm truly amazed if that is the case which is why that
did not even occur to me as a possibility.
( In QA community we would have handled it that way either directly by
list admins themselves or by a discussion on the list itself or on a
meeting )

If they dont have that authority already I strongly recommend we grant
them that immediately and come up with a SOP for mailing list admins if
infrastructure does not have one in place already.

Basically something like these SOP general mailing list admin community
steps.

1. If you want to become a list admin you have to request it by filing a
ticket in relevant sub community request tracker or infrastructure's
request tracker a ( simply done for tracebility who requested,when,why,
who approved/rejected,when why and to allow the sub community to protest
if they dont want that individual to be their list admin) ack and have
done reading ( upstream/our ) page about on how to become list
administrator

2. Who list admins are needs to be listed on the joining page to
relevant sub community
( for community members to easily see and know who they and what their
role is encase they need to contact them or are being contacted by them )

2. Should be limited to three people ( which should be more than
sufficiant to handle list administration )

3. Be full power to handle moderate/ban basically do what ever falls in
the scope of mailing list admins.

4. If individuals needs to be banned the mallinglist admin should follow
these step set by the global wide community  ( which can be super seeded
by another steps set by the sub community itself )
3 warning replies that the individual has overstep his boundaries
followed by a moderation and eventual ban if his or hers behavior continues.

5. If you have been banned or think that list admin is misusing his
power you will need to bring it up with the ( sub ) community and or
file a ticket in infrastructures request tracker and request either to
be allowed back in or the relevant list admin to be removed.

The above is more in line with IRC channel operators and generally are
just common sense with regards to mailing list administration.

JBG