Board/Project Governance

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 17:23:27 UTC 2013

Hi

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM, inode0

[ Thanks.  I am just wondering about the specifics below]

The Board is tasked via the Fedora Trademark Guidelines with various
> responsibilities which it takes seriously. I plan to ask Red Hat legal
> what other arrangements they might be agreeable to where perhaps
> another group of Fedora contributors could be tasked with these
> responsibilities but I believe it is important for these
> responsibilities to rest in the Fedora community somewhere.

Did the board suggest any changes that didn't originate from Red Hat Legal
and has been adopted?  If this is being done on active basis, it is indeed
an important thing to do but I am not sure it requires as many board
members.

> Someone needs to be in a position to resolve disputes within the
> community and that responsibility now resides with the Board. While we
> have created a Community Working Group to help resolve disputes it is
> specifically designed to do mediation, not to do arbitration, make
> judgments, or enforce sanctions. The Board gets to be the bad guy and
> fortunately that obligation is seldom neede

 Either the board should delegate entirely or not have a separate group
IMO.

> FESCo has oversight of the technical direction of the products Fedora
> produces, the Board has oversight over the rest of the project. This
> is an area where I think the Board should probably be a lot more
> active than it has been historically.

I can't recall any examples in the last several years.

Rahul