Board/Project Governance

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 4 20:54:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was any progress on this in the last
> 6 months.

Yes and no.  Mostly no.  The Board had some recent discussions on
structure and roles, but nothing concrete.

I still feel that the way the Board is structured is no longer
working.  It hasn't been for some time.  With that in mind, I fully
intend to revisit this topic at Flock during the governance session.
My goal there is to work with the attendees, both from the Board and
the community at large, and come up with a clear proposal on how the
Board can best serve the project.  It is my hope we'll have such a
plan at the end of the conference to take back to the community and
the FPL for discussion and have clear actionable items for a
restructure.

To be clear, this plan will most likely look similar to what we've
discussed here.  That may result in current Board members no longer
being on the Board if such a plan is implemented.  As I said long ago,
this is not a reflection on individuals.  I think we all very much
care about Fedora and want it to succeed, and to that end I am more
than happy to no longer have a Board seat if there is a better way to
form a Board or council that best suits Fedora's needs.  I would hope
most Board members feel the same.

If anyone would like to provide some input before hand, please speak up now.

josh