[Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

Richard Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 20:41:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

I do not consider myself a contributor.

I consider myself a user.

If my  comments are out of place or unwelcome, please ignore my comments.

=====

You have multiple audiences.

You have users like me wanting to know how this change will affect me.

I am guessing you have different types of contributors.
I am guessing you have packagers who package products from upstream.
I am guessing you have developers who create Fedora unique software.

You have downstream customers.
Redhat is one downstream customer.
I am guessing Ubuntu is another downstream customer.

You have ambassadors trying to promote Fedora.

You probably have other types of audiences as well that I can't think
of right now.

How are your proposed changes going to affect each audience?

=====

I thought the board had three main functions.

I thought the board acted like a judge deciding what would not go into Fedora.

I thought the board decided the cutoff date for the next Fedora release,
and what had to make it into Fedora for that release, and what didn't.

I am guessing the board does managerial tasks such as handling conflicts.
I am guessing another management task is deciding the Fedora name.
I don't know what else to put in the managerial task function.

Am I wrong in what the board actually does?

=====

I get confused about FESCo's relationship with the board.
I can look at the wiki and see what FESCo does.

Does FESCo accept packages, but the board decides which release for
those packages?

You also seem to have another audience, which I only vaguely understand.
You keep referring to the FPL, Fedora Project Leader.
>From a description, it sounds like the FPL is the board chairman, with
veto power.

=====

I wish to know how your board changes will affect me, a user.
Other audiences should ask, how the board changes going to affect them.

=====

I don't understand what is broken.
Because of this message, I only understand something about the board is broken.

=====

Anyway, this is my two cents on your request for comments from contributors.

As I do not consider myself a contributor, but am a user, you can ignore me.

-Rick