[Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 18 07:04:01 UTC 2014

> It is a problem with the Board structure because there have been many people
> who have been on the board who have tried to do things only to find that the
> board does not have any 'power' to enact anything.

Fedora has grown big, and it has become harder to set a shared vision
and common goals, communicating between groups too. What about our
relations with the broader community, the downward trend of distros ?

I'm fine with a "supreme court" like board but something is missing in
our current organization.
What we're trying to fix is not the board per se, but Fedora's
leadership (what is supposed to be one of the board missions)

> The Fedora Project is at best an anarchy where things get done by consensus
> over ordering. The Board can not tell anyone to do anything. It has no
> budget to pay for developers, it has no control over what the developers do.
> The Fedora Project is not a 'legal' entity which can handle money, budgets,
> employees or anything else which can make something get done if the various
> members do not want to volunteer to do so.
>
> At best the board can persuade people to work in one direction or another
> for as long as they want to do so. It can also advise Red Hat that they
> should look at paying developers for things.

I agree with all above, and no matter how we change the governance
model, that won't change.
What we're trying to fix is to get the right people onboard able to
drive the project and having a representative board of the project.

We can't force anybody to do anything, we can only persuade them. This
proposal is trying to build a leadership body, not a manager-like
committee. Nobody believe that the latter could even work.

And I'd like to insist that what I'm trying to advocate is the result
of a collective process, there were much more people involved that
just Toshio and I, that's why we shared a transcript (made by Adam and
various folks during the workshop) so you could get as much
informations as possible.

Regards,
H.