[Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 18 15:59:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 08:58:23AM -0400, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> This is an aspiration but by no means guaranteed.  If the assumption is
> that the council members themselves will be implementing the strategy,
> there are very many tasks that just can’t be done by the ~9 members of the
> council (keep in mind that we have thousands of participants). If the
> assumption is that the council members will be leading the community or
> persuading them to do something, it’s not obvious why the FPL-chosen
> members will be more effective than the current board members which were
> elected by the very communities they are supposed to lead or persuade.

I agree that the method of selection itself isn't particularly important --
it's the framework that that lives in. Currently, we frequently have no more
candidates standing for the board than open slots. And we get very low voter
turnout. This doesn't mean we get bad members (to the contrary -- everyone
on the board is individually awesome), but it does mean that we don't have
clear connections to "the very communities they are supposed to lead or
persuade".

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>