[Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 21:07:51 UTC 2014

On 18 August 2014 14:31, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/17/2014 09:13 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > It is a problem with the Board structure because there have been many
> > people who have been on the board who have tried to do things only to
> > find that the board does not have any 'power' to enact anything.
>
> The best leadership does not use executive power to make things happen.
> Vision, common purpose, supporting culture, ability to try and
> fail/learn, and some metric to understand if progress is being made is
> far more effective leadership. To me the discussion is to keep the
> current passive parts the board does, but to take on a former mentioned
> in a active role to facilitate for the project.
>
> Hope that makes sense.
> Carl.

It does. However the best leadership will not get anything done if there is
no one willing to help out or no budget to pay for the resources that the
people need to enact things. What happens is in those cases is that the
leadership or people leave to find the places where they can get the
resources they need.  We have been very good about being able enact small
things that don't require a lot of resources but anything larger needing
long term focus, more than a couple of volunteers and a laptop... we tend
to fall apart quickly around the 6 week mark. Various people think that the
Board (or being a member of the Board) can fix that but it had none of the
tools either.

Stephen J Smoogen.