[Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 22:01:06 UTC 2014

On 18 August 2014 10:17, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> On 08/18/2014 05:59 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 08:58:23AM -0400, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>>
>>> This is an aspiration but by no means guaranteed.  If the assumption is
>>> that the council members themselves will be implementing the strategy,
>>> there are very many tasks that just can’t be done by the ~9 members of
>>> the
>>> council (keep in mind that we have thousands of participants). If the
>>> assumption is that the council members will be leading the community or
>>> persuading them to do something, it’s not obvious why the FPL-chosen
>>> members will be more effective than the current board members which were
>>> elected by the very communities they are supposed to lead or persuade.
>>>

>> I agree that the method of selection itself isn't particularly important
>> --
>> it's the framework that that lives in. Currently, we frequently have no
>> more
>> candidates standing for the board than open slots. And we get very low
>> voter
>> turnout.
>>
> It means the community has "turned away" because Fedora has lost the
> spirit, it one started with.
>
> If you want to phrase it a little more aggressive: People don't care about
> Fedora leadership anymore, because they have learnt Fedora is not about
> getting community involved.

Community takes a lot of work to maintain, and a lot of the people who
started it just hoped it would continue on without that constant work. Also
many in the community are developers who just want to get crap done and not
deal with people issues which are required to keep any sort of community
going.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.