[Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

Greg DeKoenigsberg greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:22:37 UTC 2014

> On 18 August 2014 14:31, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> That is exactly why the board should be active in creating common purpose
> etc as I listed, as 90% in open source is people contributing because they
> believe in the objectives/priorities, see or believe the project is going
> somewhere and are willing to help make it happen.  If we look at for example
> OpenStack, in all cases someone believes in the project or a project
> objective and based on that either personally contribute or signs their
> company up to contribute.

OpenStack, and Linux, provide upstreams to multiple companies who
build commercial products.  That's why the largest and most productive
contributors work for these projects as their day jobs.  They're
"willing to help make it happen" because they are subsidized by
companies, and the governance model is constructed specifically to
distribute decision-making, so all those companies have a say.

Fedora is not built that way, and likely never will be.

I agree that it's important to consider motivations -- but it's also
important to be clear-eyed about those motivations, and about the
limitations imposed by the structure of the project.  The pool of
potential contributors to Fedora is smaller because of Red Hat's
controlling interest, and that's a fact.

--g