other ways of working with third party vendors [was Re: Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software]

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 16:09:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 10:47 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:01:52PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > So why are we not working with the third-party vendors to ensure that
> > they provide repository metadata in a way that's easy for users to find?
> > We can do much better than we currently do without compromising on our
> > commitment to free software.
>
> I think this got a little lost in the big thread, but is really worth
> exploring further. What more can we do in this area, and how would we go
> about it?

Stopping the openly hostile attitude towards software that is not in
Fedora (for whatever reason) might be a good first step.

I've seen lots of contributions in this (and related) discussions that
convey the opinion that software that is not in Fedora is morally
questionable, of inferior quality, using 'bad' languages, etc, etc.

That's not a great opening message for inviting those 3rd parties to the
table...