Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 21:21:47 UTC 2014

On 22 January 2014 14:10, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> .
>
> Your wiki search inspired me.  I did one of my own.  I found pages
> that have existed since 2008 that mention 3rd party repositories:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Third_party_repositories
>
> We also have one that explicitly tells you how to install Adobe flash,
> which is non-free software:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash (created in 2011)
>
> These are top-level wiki pages.  They are hosted on the Fedora
> project's website.  There are others.
>
> I do not doubt for a second that Fedora's objectives and principles
> are to promote Free software.  However, saying that a utility that
> searches for and enables specific 3rd party repositories that we
> already point to on our own wiki is against the very being of Fedora
> seems disingenuous at best.

Not to me. One is at best telling you that if you would like to look for
these things, there is a restaurant down the street you can go to pick up
your veal. The other is saying "I know we are a vegan restaurant, but we
have a fellow who goes down the street and picks up the veal you wanted. "

> josh

Stephen J Smoogen.