What is success for Fedora?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Jul 3 01:16:00 UTC 2014

Le mardi 01 juillet 2014 à 11:16 -0400, Josh Boyer a écrit :
> Something the Board has talked about recently is defining success for
> Fedora.  The project has often done this directly through our main
> deliverable, which is shipping another Fedora release.  We work hard
> to create, test, and deliver a high quality Linux distribution.  We
> look at feedback and try and correct mistakes or oversights in the
> next release.  These are all fine things, and things that should
> continue as we stride towards Fedora.next, but is that really defining
> success for the project as a whole?  Is Fedora simply a project to
> create a Linux distribution, or is it something larger?
>
> Our Four Foundations speak to the bedrock that Fedora is built on and
> provide guidance in decision making for specific instances.  Yet we
> seem to rarely stand back and evaluate how Fedora as a project is
> doing.  Are we achieving some manner of success in promoting those
> Foundations?  Should we be striving for that?  Is it even measurable?
> If so, how?
>
> The Board is starting this thread to have an earnest discussion around
> what people see "success" being for the Fedora project.  Hopefully the
> Board members will chime in with their own thoughts soon, but we want
> to get as many ideas around this as possible.  Hopefully this
> discussion will help the Board, and the community as a whole, gather
> some insight as to where we think Fedora is, where it should be
> heading, and what we should be doing to get it there.

One "easy" to measure item would be to start going toward sponsor
diversity.

IE, I would feel Fedora would be more a success if we had a more diverse
sponsorship. even if i do not think there is something fundamentally
wrong with RH, I do not see any negative outcome into having something
with more diverse companies helping.
(and I think this would increase community participation and so improve
free software for everybody )

--
Michael Scherer