What is success for Fedora?

Michael McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Jul 3 01:35:33 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Is the goal here to find something equivalent of a Fedora Project "Gross
Domestic Product"?  Perhaps someone smarter than I can work though that
but I'm just not seeing it.

Fedora is a very large group, it might be worth considering something to
the equivalent of a re-org.  Find a few key areas separated by function
and work to establish leaders in those functions to determine how best to
measure success.

It's cumbersome and "corporate", but the fact is, how FESCo is doing has no
representation on how Fedora Infrastructure is doing.  A really healthy and
successful cloud sig might have no barring whatsoever on what the packaging
committee is working on.  Empower those that are working, help or cut those
groups that aren't.

All of these disconnected teams need to work well with each other with some
common goals or at least common values.  This group and the board can define
those values.  It is quite possible that at our current size and scope there
isn't just one success but many.  There are also likely several failures.

These are problems that have existed since the dawn of time and while
community is a value to us, sometimes it feels like we wish we were a smaller
tight-knit group and we're just not.  It may be time to look at a more
traditional organization.  Our values and people are different but
communication, accountability, and success are not issues that unique to us.
Many of them have been solved already, perhaps we should take a model that
already exists and fork it to make it our own.

     -Mike