Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:41:23 UTC 2014

On 25 March 2014 13:29, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> > The KDE SIG would like public comment and feedback on a new Fedora.next
> > product proposal:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Plasma_Product
> >
> > mostly on the base proposal, Governance and PRD bits.  Other stuff like
> > Technical spec are still undergoing polish.
>
> I went from pretty excited initially to a bit disappointed that the
> PRD seems to mostly be snipped from the Workstation PRD. I was hoping
> for something with a more original vision I guess. So my first comment
> really is meant to encourage the Fedora Plasma Product to create more
> separation between itself and the Workstation Product. Two products
> with a very similar vision I suspect will be a hard sell generally.

I expect that will show up in many proposals in the future because people
will use what worked already. Coming up with completely new language and
areas means that you are having to roll the dice and worry about playing
word-chef each time. I think the best way to clarify this in product
proposals will be better idea from the Board etc on what they want and what
they don't want. [Which you are doing on your part, but is that a Board
view or just your own... that needs to be clarified so that future product
proposals know what they are trying to build.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.