first (quick?) issue for the council -- fedora's default firefox page

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Wed Nov 26 18:26:05 UTC 2014

On 26/11/14 18:23, Cristian Gafton wrote:
I had a similar thought, some kind of variable we can amend at will
even, maybe a redirect or something might be less hard coded ? I am sure
we can easily do that in infra. Of course then, the question remains,
what do we want to achieve ? Should this be release specific ?

Regards,
Tristan

> Why isn't %{dist} embedded in some part of the start URL, giving you
> the option of controlling what users of the different releases get to
> see from the backend side?
>
> Cristian
>
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org <mailto:mattdm at fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi everyone! Let's get right to business. I've got a request for a
>     project-level decision. Up through and including Fedora 20,
>     http://start.fedoraproject.org/ was the default home page in Firefox.
>     At a community member's suggestion, that was change to be
>     "about:newtab" in Rawhide, and inherited into F21.
>
>     Fedora Magazine is actually getting quite a bit of traffic from
>     start.fpo, which means someone saw a headline there and clicked.
>
>     Generating magazine traffic is good, but even more importantly,
>     this is
>     one of our key channels of communication to users. I talked to the
>     Fedora Marketing and websites teams and there was broad consensus that
>     we should go back to http://start.fedoraproject.org/. Allan Day, who
>     filed the original request to change.
>
>     Martin Stransky, the package maintainer, doesn't want to be changing
>     back and forth based on whoever filed a bug last, and asks for a
>     decision by Fedora governance.
>
>     I guess my own opinion is clear — I think putting it to the Fedora
>     page
>     is best for the project. Because this change only affects the defaults
>     set the first time someone opens Firefox in a new profile, it'd be
>     nice
>     to have this set by the F21 release — even though we're well into
>     freeze territory, so that ship has probably sailed. Do we have quick
>     consensus to make the change now? (If not, we'll figure out a
>     longer-term solution for F22.)
>

>     --
>     Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org
>     <mailto:mattdm at mattdm.org>             <http://mattdm.org/>
>     Fedora Project Leader  mattdm at fedoraproject.org
>     <mailto:mattdm at fedoraproject.org>  <http://fedoraproject.org/>

Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Network and Infrastructure Operations
InterNexusConnect
Mobile +44-78-55069812
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org