Diversity Advisor (was Re: Fedora Governance Proposal)

Bill Nottingham notting at splat.cc
Wed Oct 8 05:22:06 UTC 2014

inode0 (inode0 at gmail.com) said:
> The Board will be voting on this proposal over the next couple of days
> but I wanted to share the proposal as widely as possible before we
> finish. Please read the proposal here
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MatthewMiller/council-draft
>
> and feel free to provide feedback on the board-discuss list or contact
> any current Board member directly.

So, having an advisor to work on diversity inititiatives - this is
*awesome* to have. It does raise a couple of questions for me. Admittedly,
these are probably more of the sorts of questions a prospective candidate
might ask, rather than questions about the document as drafted.

Fedora's Diversity Advisor works on initiatives to assess and promote
equality and inclusion within the Fedora contributor and user communities,
and helps develop project strategy on diversity issues. Additionally, the
Diversity Advisor administers and is the point of contact for Fedora's
participation in third-party outreach programs and events.

1) There's procedural overlap with the Fedora Community Action and Impact
Coordinator role (third party interactions, potential budget
responsibilities) and mission overlap with the outreach seat (growing the
community). Is this intentional? Do we feel that this will lead to more
synergy in these roles?

2) The two goals/responsibilities defined here are very different, both in
what they're actually doing (working internally vs sponsoring externally),
and in how well Fedora (and Red Hat, as primary sponsors) have historically
succeeded at them.  When determining success, how are the two
responsibilities weighted, and how does this affect what candidates are
chosen?

3) For the Fedora-facing initiatives aspect of the role, what are the axes
of diversity that this intends to tackle? Examples would be gender identity,
ethnicity, age, nationality, language, employer, and many others.

4) For historic board seats, they went to those who stood for election and
generally had a personal stake in the project. For the new council seats
other than this, we either have paid positions or selected from inside
Fedora. If, as has been suggested, this role is filled from outside the
fence to bring in new perspectives, how confident are we in finding someone
who wants to do this solely as a volunteer?

Bill