representative council roles [was Re: [board] #9: board vote on reorganization proposals]

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 13:23:48 UTC 2014

Am Donnerstag, den 11.09.2014, 08:16 -0400 schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:34:05PM -0000, board wrote:
> >  I'll start working on a draft for what that might look like and post it to
> >  the discuss list in the next couple of days.
>
> That doesn't mean everyone should wait for me, by the way. :) Particularly,
> I'd love to hear everyone's ideas for translating
> https://plus.google.com/+ChristophWickert/posts/UuU81LNZ27F?pid=6045572712375942674&oid=114008335300241090782
> into a reasonable number of council seats which cover the different areas in
> a meaningful, representative way.

When I brought up the idea of the council back in 2012, I wanted it to
be an open group. Groups should be able to send representatives when
they feel they need a liaison with the rest of the rest of the Fedora
Project.

Therefor I wanted it to not be limited to the big projects such as
packagers and ambassadors, which may or may not already have their own
bodies, but open for every little SIG or WG.

During my presentation at FUDCon Blacksburg [1] Dave then brought up the
issue of scalability and I think he has an important point. Imagine we
have representatives of 20 groups and each of them just talks for 3
minutes...

So I think the size of the group should be somehow limited, at least if
we decide to have regular phone or IRC meetings. If we go for the lazy
consensus however, we are probably able to handle more people.

This being said we should have permanent members for the biggest and
most important groups but also be able to invite representatives from
other groups if necessary.

Say we had a group of 9 permanent members I propose the following
permanent representatives (in no particular order)
     1. Workstation WG
     2. Server WG
     3. Cloud WG
     4. FESCo
     5. FAmSCO
     6. QA
     7. Infrastructure
     8. Release Engineering
     9. Marketing

And of course the FPL.

If you are wondering why marketing is in here and think it's
over-represented: I think we definitely want the marketing team to
become more important.

Auxiliary members:
      * Design
      * Docs
      * L10n
      * FPC
      * Spins
      * Websites
      * ...

Some of these are already represented as sub-projects of other permanent
members, e.g. websites is already (kind of) represented by
infrastructure, but it might be necessary get in touch with somebody
directly to get shit done.

something similar to the release readiness meetings. All relevant
stakeholders should have a representative.
For the auxiliary members, ideally we would have a liaison to every
single group out there and be able to contact them whenever we feel it
is necessary. And of course they should already be able to contact the
council at any given point in time.

Questions, comments, rants?

Regards,
Christoph