representative council roles [was Re: [board] #9: board vote on reorganization proposals]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 11 18:09:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:44:01AM -0400, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> It's more if we add another WG than product (if we can already consider
> Atomic as 4th product but done by Cloud for example). But maybe WGs could
> be all covered by one representative for all of them and independent
> group liasons could be auxiliary members (aka when needed). Just idea,
> at least in the beginning, WGs are important to define how .next will
> look in the future. After it gets boring, it can be changed.

With how that is nominally structured now, with the WGs under FESCo, that
one representative could be the FESCo seat.

But in any case, I very much agree with the last part. For the next two
years in Fedora, I see these things as important goals:

* Define and market products as individual entities. Get the processes for
  producing them running smoothly, and see measurable success in their
  target areas — with a new emphasis on "measurable".

* Figure out how the containerization trend affects how we put the
  distribution together as a whole, and make big *coordinated* moves based
  on that. Find meaningful solutions to the "distros are hard and boring"
  problem, and make Fedora the place people go to find those answers.

* Automate huge amounts of the manual and semi-manual work in QA and Rel
  Eng, so that we can produce an expanding array of targets both in the
  6-month cycle and apart from it. More reliable Rawhide; batched updates;
  monthly image respins that we feel good about recommending to people.

* Improve discussion and support for new contributors and longstanding
  Fedora developers alike — new tools like Hyperkitty, and more importantly,
  new cultural norms which better reflect the Friends foundation.

I'd like the board to be composed of people who will be active in achieving
these -- and it also needs to be flexible enough to reflect medium-term
community goals that I've missed in this list, and help refine the target
and the composition of the group itself as the needs shift (for example, we
solve all of the above problems....)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>