[Ambassadors] Announcing the next FUDCon APAC

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 22 14:07:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 6:57 AM, Truong Anh. Tuan
<tuanta at iwayvietnam.com> wrote:
> Hi Matthew and Council,
>
> Have you started processing this? Any updates?

We haven't as a group yet.

>> Credit goes to Sirko for the original idea - he suggested this at the
>> Phnom Penh FAD last year and I think it's a great idea that we should
>> probably think deeper about and act on before it is forgotten.
>>
>> The current call for bid for FUDCon happened in November, got awarded
>> in January and is happening in June.  Overall we have about 6 months
>> to get everything in place to do the event, which is just about enough
>> time for teams that have experience and resources in organizing
>> events.  However, it could be better.  We could open the bid for the
>> next FUDCon for the region ~2-3 months before the dates of the current
>> FUDCon and after discussions, announce the winner for the bid at the
>> current FUDCon.  That would give the next team about a year to get
>> everything in place.
>>
>> That is, we could make a call for bids for FUDCon APAC 2016 about now
>> (maybe last week or March or beginning of April) and time discussions
>> such that we reach a decision just before FUDCon Pune at the end of
>> June.  We could then announce the venue for the next FUDCon APAC
>> chapter during the event, probably at the close of the second or the
>> last day.
>>
>> It won't be much of a surprise for those who attend the APAC
>> ambassador meetings or for FAmSCO or the FPL, but it could become a
>> nice little tradition that we form for the event.  This could also be
>> adopted by FUDCon LATAM or even Flock.

Given that the entire idea is to allow more time for planning, I
personally think this is fine.  Particularly when you take into
consideration that FUDCons are regional events, I don't really see
much objection to this at a Council level.  The Ambassadors and
organizers in those regions should be empowered to make their FUDCons
as successful as possible.

We likely still need to figure out how to coordinate with the Council,
specifically the Fedora Community Action and Impact Coordinator (Remy)
and Outreach Representative, for funding and budget issues but that
isn't really new.  The proposal just changes the timing a bit.  The
largest hurdle is unfixed cost estimates due to the event being
planned far out, but hopefully we can accommodate that from a budget
perspective.

I'll try and poke the rest of the Council and see if anyone objects.

josh