Flock and possible upcoming objectives: marketing upfront; internet of things

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:25:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 1:18 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting at splat.cc> wrote:
> Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) said:
>> * Internet of things. This has a lot of parts where Fedora can fit:
>>   Fedora on devices (hello, ARM SIG!), Fedora Workstation as a devel
>>   platform, Fedora Cloud as backend. Maybe big data, too. We have lots
>>   of parts, but no strategy. Metrics: production of such a strategy.
>>   Features/change requests related to IoT, possibly IoT SIG with
>>   regular meetings...
>>
>> Discuss. :)
>
> If Fedora's interested in supporting IoT at the non-hobbyist device level,
> that use case likely requires that updates are:
>
> - available for an indefinite period of time
> - able to be installed reliably with minimal user interaction
> - potentially done automatically via a push model

I think atomic is an excellent use case for that style of updates and
with decent testing would even provide decent rolling style of update
between releases with the ability to do rollbacks too with one boot
type of functionality (update, set watchdog, reboot, test connectivity
and core functionality, unset one-boot flag for rollback or if tests
fail/watchdog triggers).

The first two items are covered to some degree by atomic, the later
would need some form of push management platform. I've not looked
closely at feedhenry bits as I don't believe they've been opensourced
yet, or I missed the announcement but there could be building blocks
there.

> Is that something doable at the SIG level, or would it need more systemwide
> work?

I suspect some of both.

Peter