Flock and possible upcoming objectives: marketing upfront; internet of things

langdon langdon at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 20 00:27:47 UTC 2015

On 08/16/2015 01:01 PM, Pete Travis wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2015 12:48 PM, "Joe Brockmeier" <jzb at redhat.com
> <mailto:jzb at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 08/14/2015 11:52 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > * I have not gone to business school, so I don't know the terminology
> > >   here, but right now, Fedora Marketing is largely an
> afterthought. How
> > >   do we "sell" the thing we just made? But, it could be so much more.
> > >   How can we get more marketing involvement across the project,
> > >   *making* stories, not just making them up? Metrics: more people
> > >   across the project involved in marketing; marketing artifacts
> > >   produced at start of cycles instead of just the end; more press
> about
> > >   Fedora, etc.
> >
> > I'd like to propose this as an objective and am willing to drive it if
> > there's interest. I'm thinking 12-18 months / three releases would be a
> > good timeframe (starting with F24) to take this from "how do we do
> > this?" to "OK, this is now a really integral part of how we work as a
> > project."
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > jzb
> > --
> >

> I struggle with abstract process improvement proposals; my mind is
> always searching for a concrete goal to structure for, and doesn't do
> as well with structure for its own sake.  So, I would prefer this to
> *start* with a story to tell, and build the community scaffolding to
> align with that message.
>
> Containers seem popular these days, maybe start with the story around
> atomic host deployments, building scalable application containers, and
> managing that stack?
>
> --Pete

I guess I read this proposal as more, "how do we make Fedora better at
telling people what we are doing" vs "telling them what we did" or
"telling this particular story." However, I don't think that means that
it needs to be wishy-washy.

The Objective could still have very hard goals, e.g.:
a) identified 3 people who will monitor System-wide Changes and produce
a monthly blog post regarding them
b) the various marketing-esque teams in Fedora will have a compelling
and complete hierarchy
c) the Council will be provided a way to directly set marketing
direction for objectives

I don't know exactly, I kinda made those up and I would think they would
have stages or more detail or stuff, but, I hope I made clear that I,
personally, am looking for a proposal of an Objective that enables a
framework for all Fedorans to be better at marketing what we are doing,
what we did, and why to external audiences. And that proposal would have
measurable steps.

Langdon