council trademark approval in the change policy

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:20:27 UTC 2015

On 13 May 2015 at 13:03, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 05/13/2015 02:55 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>
>> As part of a FESCo and Spins SIG decision to reform the new spins
>> process, I added a section on trademark approval to:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Policy
>>
>> It now says:
>>
>>    If your Change may require trademark approval (for example, if it is
>>    a new Spin), file a ticket requesting trademark approval from the
>>    Fedora Council. This approval will be done via the Council's
>>    consensus-based process; if the request receives at least three
>>    positive votes and no negative votes within 14 days, it is considered
>>    approved.

within an Council agreed upon period*, it is considered approved.

* For most times the council has decided that 14 days is the time to
reach consensus. During certain times of the year when multiple
members may be unable to comment, the Council reserves the right to
extend this to 28 days.

>> 14 days is rather long, but I figure since we're aiming for
>> ticket-based meetings every two weeks, that'll provide at least one
>> meeting where we can make sure it doesn't get missed and discuss if
>> necessary. Thoughts on this?
>

> You might want to give yourself a few more fudge days. Just thinking if one
> meeting gets cancelled (eg Xmas holidays) you might have an ambiguous
> situation. Or maybe just reword that the approval will be considered within
> 1-2 council meetings (typically taking no more than 14 days)
>
> ~m

Stephen J Smoogen.