Packaging FAD China 2015

Alick Zhao alick9188 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 06:40:09 UTC 2015

On 05/20/2015 04:03 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>> Not a council member,
>>
>> Thanks -- didn't mean that to be exclusive.
>>

>>>        but it would be good to ensure there are existing
>>> packagers (possibly even sponsors) present for this.
>>
>> Of the of the people listed as going on the FAD page, at least Robin
>> Lee has these packages:
>> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packager/cheeselee/>.
>>
>> Having a sponsor on hand does seem like it'd increase success.

Yeah, Robin Lee recently confirmed he should be able to join.
In fact the original idea of this FAD is to bring together all active
Fedora packagers in China and grow the packaging group.

> I think Tom makes an excellent point. Without at least one sponsor or
> at least provenpackager involved, I'm not sure this is going to be a
> positive experience for the participants. If people go to this event
> and cannot actually get their pet package added to Fedora as a result
> of participating, then they're going to be soured on the process.
>
> Now, an obvious follow-up question is whether we think there would be a
> sufficient return on investment to send one of the sponsors to this FAD
> (and whether to expend time and effort locating someone willing to go).

About the suitable people, we locate them in previous events (release
parties, FADs, and FUDCon). Then this time we invite them to join the
event and help to make it run as planned.

About the investment return, I feel I cannot say much. It will always
be an issue with the cost to bring together the suitable people, since
the country is large and the contributor base is relatively small and
they spread across the country. We cannot help much with the fact,
but we try to bring down the cost a little bit. For example, this time
through cooperation with Shanghai LUG, the venue is free of charge to us.
We also make swags reusable during multiple events.

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/group/members/packager/*/spons
> or is a list of the current sponsors, and of course we could email the sponsors list looking for volunteers (preferably
> locally).

Regards,
--
Alick