On Fedora's goal - is it to build an OS people can use, or to build a free as in gratis OS that people can use, or is it to build a free as in libre OS that people can use?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat May 30 01:32:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 17:26:58 +0100,
  Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:

>Recently, since we moved on to Fedora.next, we've been working hard to
>make the OS as user friendly as we can - the OS must be easy to set up
>and use if we're to gain users, and gain market share in the process.
>But, what is the purpose of this drive to increase our market share?
>*Why* do we want more users? To beat other distributions in numbers? So
>that we can say we have more users than them?

I believe the reason is that contributors come from users and one way to
get more contributors is to have more users.

>The reason why we do not include non FOSS software seems to have
>changed from "because we want to only use FOSS - that is our mission"
>to "because including non FOSS software may risk RH, the company that
>backs us", somewhere along the line. While the latter is true, it
>distresses me to think that for some, this has now become the primary
>reason. The primary reason used to be "because we want our users to use
>FOSS as much as practically possible", and it is fortunate that this
>fit in perfectly with protecting RH. Surely, RH Legal should not be the
>the set of people stopping us from including non FOSS software??

I think you are confusing non-FOSS software with software covered by
patents or otherwise illegal (DMCA or export controlled) to distribute
in the USA. Much of that software is free but Fedora can't distribute it.