for discussion: Fedora OpenShift as an objective

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 20:27:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:10:04AM -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> OpenShift is based on kubernetes but because of the magic of golang,
> it's all statically linked at compile time. Therefore, OpenShift
> actually caries the entirety of kubernetes as a bundled library which

Uhm, how is the bundling related to the static linking performed by the
Go compiler? Those are orthogonal issues. We can build static binaries
from archives or source code (shipped as separate Fedora packages and
pulled in through BuildRequires) without doing any bundling at the SRPM
level.

> unfortunately means that the current inclusion and continued
> maintenance of kubernetes in Fedora isn't likely to mean much unless
> there's a guarantee that it will always match the specific version of
> kubernetes that OpenShift is based on for API compatibility and then

That seems to be the actual problem. The lack of any commitment to
maintain a stable API.