In which Matthew goes to Training (and comes back with Ideas about Marketing)

Gabriele Trombini g.trombini at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:20:20 UTC 2015

Il giorno mer, 21/10/2015 alle 13.03 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen ha
scritto:

> Actually release download is a horrible counte and always has been.
> It
> is worse than no data at all because it is always incredibly overly
> optimistic. Too many people set up (for i in true; do wget
> http://getfedora.org > /dev/null) type things because they think it
> helps us in some strange way. We have better numbers on post release
> usage from dnf and other daily tools. Not perfect but probably within
> an order of magnitude. [If we went by release iso download numbers it
> would like some releases we should have hundreds of millions of
> users.
> That is clearly not the case in other traffic.] The dnf/yum numbers
> are limited though because it only shows up in non-metered internet
> places. Most of South America, Asia and large portions of Europe seem
> to have metered connections and you instead end up with snapshots of
> usage because it is too expensive to stay on the daily updates tree.

Not a way to follow IMO; because of things you are saying and also for
the several variable could happen as well.

[cut]

> I am working on getting statistics more out of the infrastructure
> logs
> so that they can be more visible than Matt's slides. It is my desire
> to have a solution by Feb of next year. The main issues is that I am
> wanting to make sure that I don't violate basic privacy concerns.
> Then
> it is also a small part of my job os progress comes in fits and
> starts.

In my opinion this is a marketing strategy: starting.
We can always have a more accurate tuning along the way.

Thanks

Gabri (mailga)