In which Matthew goes to Training (and comes back with Ideas about Marketing)

Gabriele Trombini g.trombini at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 08:27:41 UTC 2015

Il giorno ven, 23/10/2015 alle 14.55 -0400, Matthew Miller ha scritto:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 08:29:27PM +0200, Gabriele Trombini wrote:

[...]
> This is certainly part of it. Knowing more about the people who
> choose
> Fedora and how we are helping them and how we could do it better is
> important. But, it's a relatively small slice of the pie of people
> who
> *could* be using Fedora (even if we narrow that from "all humans" to
> more focused segment).
>
> Making existing users happier is crucial to long-term success, but we
> also need to find ways to reach out to our wider potential user base
> and find what we can be doing to get them in.
>
> > Maybe Country communities can give us a feedback about the issues
> > people are facing. Only in that way we can have a sort of realistic
> > feedback; we might consider also people installing Fedora without
> > any
> > request to the community.
>

> Yes, I think feedback from ambassadors is a good angle. Especially if
> we can get people having conversations beyond LUGs and LinuxFests
> where
> Fedora is probably already well known. (Linux users who have chosen
> another distribution are yet another pie slice from our own users and
> from people who aren't using Linux at all.)

We have different kind of hitch here:

- we don't know how many people are getting Fedora for the first time;
- we don't know how many many already got;
- we don't know issues new Fedora users are facing, beyond QA tests;
- we don't know if people like Fedora;
- we don't know the way-to-go people are asking us:
- we don't know if the way we are following is clear for all the
people;
- we don't know if our communications are well received.

Of course I forgot something but I'd like to get focus on these, at the
moment.
Each one of the points above, in a structured enterprise, requires
different approaches, I mean e.g.:

- new user -> customer file;
- old user -> sales file;
- issues -> after sales service;
- liking -> fill in the form;
- not liking -> as above;

and so on. Then is on the manager shoulders to aggregate data.

In our case we cannot think such as an enterprise, and we don't want
to, so we should look at them from a different angle: the "customer"
one.

We don't want tracking the user each time he/she gets in touch with us
(FAS accounts, obviously, are out of this discussion) which means we
can't use any tool which gathers sensitive data.

Commops already provides some tools and Stephen J Smoogen is working on
getting statistics.

I think we could build a "let us know ...." webpage which has to be
translated in each language we have in L10n group to fill with replies
to questions (to be renew every 3/4 releases?).
Of course we don't need random replies, so they must be chosen from a
provided list (combo box?) because we have to aggregate them.

This approach has two issues:
1) not each fedora user will fill the form;
2) how we can avoid duplicates?

The first question is easy: we don't wanna force anyone, so we can
advise that "the form is to help communications between user and the
Project, if you don't fill the form you are not able to change thing,
so don't protest in the future".
The second question is really I problem, since we don't track users, so
we have to trust in them. Of course funny people will complete the form
more than once, but I'm pretty sure the percentage will be low.

Thanks

Gabri