[council] #45: Sponsorship/Funding for FAD EMEA BUDAPEST 2015

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 23:23:25 UTC 2015

On 27 October 2015 at 13:39, Gerold <gerold at lugd.org> wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> to be honest, since years this FAD brought Red Hat the numbers from EMEA
> which they have to spend as budget for the next fiscal year, as well as an
> outcome was, that we decided what are the strategic plans in SWAG, in Media
> production, which event will be covered, wher ewe need to improve our
> presence, what to do next to bring the community in front and so on and so
> on ...
> For me, this discussion looks like a finger pointing: "... Look they burn
> the money to have a funny weekend on our costs ..."
> They want to get money for a location, for food and a social event which is,
> sorry WAS planned a lazergame. The former FADs in Rheinfelden, which I
> organised so far were amout the same amount of money and we also had every
> year a social event which brings us away from the computer for a few hours
> We covered in that event more than 10 nations in EMEA, brought together all
> important "Country" LEader and had a hard weekend.
> Most of us payed travel by their own, spending a whole weekend without
> family, children and friends. I´d also like to say that on the most FAD´s in
> Rheinfelden, a FPL showed up or some VIPs from Red Hat with a credit card
> because they knew about the importance to get correct and planable numbers
> from EMEA.
> For this year, it can be skipped and the budget numbers which we in EMEA
> gave every year since I was part of it, can be imagined by the stars. I´m
> really sorry about that point of viewing and I´m also more than just
> disappointed by the short view of some individuals.

In the past did you ask for the money to be paid in advance? What was
your general lead time for setting this up? 30 days, 60 days, 90 days?
If the answer is yes that the money needed to be paid in advance to
the hotel and other places and that the general setup time to get the
money to the hotel and events was short then yes this was a failure on
people's part to understand how things are done. And if it is a
failure then it needs to be better documented because the short notice
and being paid in advance are the parts that are causing people
consternation.. the lazer tag is a red herring (Ablenkungsmanöver?) It
is the part that a couple of people brought up but the real issue was

1) Short time to approve payments
2) Payment in advance when most events are paid afterwords.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.