[council] #45: Sponsorship/Funding for FAD EMEA BUDAPEST 2015

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 28 12:31:03 UTC 2015

Hi Gerold,

My apologies for the top post, but I believe it might be better to
address things this way rather than point by point.

First, thank you for taking the time to express your frustrations.  I
can assure you that the Council is frustrated as well.  The EMEA
ambassadors and their handling of the budget was one of the few bright
spots in our budget review from a couple weeks ago, and we wish to see
that continue.  I personally think EMEA is the exemplary ambassador
region that others should look to for guidance and advice on a number
of things.

However, this particular FAD request was somewhat unusual.  As you've
said, the short notice and pay-up-front nature of the request were
odd, combined with the fact that the people we usually see organizing
it are entirely absent.  We love having new contributors do work so
the last point isn't really an issue on its own, but when taken as a
whole it seemed odd.

We know that reimbursement is a pain.  This is not limited to
community members either.  As a Red Hat employee, all of my travel is
paid for out-of-pocket and reimbursed after the fact.  I am fully
aware of the difficulties this can cause, however it is the way
accounting works here and advance payment is very difficult to
accomplish.  Even the community credit cards are technically
reimbursement that is paid after the fact.  I don't see this changing,
so as we prepare requests in the future we need to keep this in mind.

As to our tone around the social event, please forgive me if I was
perceived as harsh and uncaring.  I realize that such meetings can be
draining and doing something away from the computer or meeting can be
a needed and welcome break.  My intention was not to eliminate it
entirely at all.  However, the Council has received a larger number of
budget requests this year which is causing us to review each more
carefully.  As Matt said, we want to make sure the money being spent
can immediately be shown to have a positive impact on the project.  To
put it bluntly, the number of social events and the amount for them
seemed excessive for a FAD.  That and the lack of any real information
around them was where we had trouble finding that portion of the
request reasonable.

As the Council is trying to more fully understand the overall budget
picture, we did not find it reasonable to approve the request without
at least asking some questions.  Ultimately I believe it was as
Stephen suggested and the short notice and upfront request were the
deal breakers for approval.  This is unfortunate and I truly hope that
the EMEA ambassadors can come back with another proposal so that we
can continue to have strong leadership and financial responsibility in
that region.  Thank you again for your efforts and time.

josh