no-cost fedora "sponsorship" of a fedora remix at a launch event?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 22:38:32 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:26 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Let me see if I can explain this concisely. https://cloudrouter.org/ is
> a Fedora Remix aimed at software-defined networking. The company behind
> it has a launch event on September 9th, and as a token of appreciation
> for being Fedora-based, would like to add us as a sponsor (although
> they are not asking for any money). They would put our name on a coffee
> station (similarly to how our friends at Rackspace sponsored breaks at
> Flock). Do we want to do this?
>
> This is coming to me from an old-school Fedora contributor who now
> works at the company; I'm quite sure that it's motivated by a sincere
> wish to recognize Fedora, rather than just trying to glom on to our
> good name. I definitely like the idea of recognizing/supporting people
> building cool new things on Fedora, although I'm not sure if
> sponsorship is the right idiom.

I'm not on the council, but being involved with ARM stuff of similar
nature in the past I'd ask the following questions:
1) Are they properly handling all the legal/trademark bits as
expected, if they're not and we back them it could bite later?
2) what is the relationship, are they just consuming our work and
wanting to use the brand to their advantage?
3) are they actively contributing?