RFC: draft of new privacy policy

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Sep 2 16:20:21 UTC 2015

On 09/02/2015 05:58 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 11:40:15AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> It's been about seven years since we amended our privacy policy, and
>> there are number of things we'd like to better address. Fedora Legal
>> has produced a new draft, and would like comments. (This involves
>> actual lawyer time and back and forth, so let's make that a 14-day
>> comment period.) The draft proposal is at
>>
>>    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Spot/PrivacyPolicyProposal
>
> Sharing Your Personal Information
>
> ""
> we may disclose personally identifiable information about you to third parties
> in limited circumstances, including:
> - for research activities, including the production of statistical reports (such
> aggregated information is used to describe our services and is not used to
> contact the subjects of the report).
> ""
>
> Is this really something we want to do?

Openly said, I don't want this.

AFAIK, in Germany, it's the laws that any such "passing on personal
information" needs to be opt-in - "Opt-out" and "always-on" would be
unlawful.

I'd seriously recommend to pass this proposal on to a EU data-privacy
law expert.

You might not be aware about it, but almost all recent changes in "Terms
of Usage" of US-internet enterprises (Facebook, Twitter, netflix, Google
and esp. *Microsoft*) have been subject to fierce opposition from the EU
and caused severe damage to all these enterprises.

Ralf