RFC: draft of new privacy policy

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 19:56:25 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 11:07:04AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 11:40:15 -0400
> Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> ...snip...
>
> Should there be mention of NetworkManager-config-connectivity-fedora ?
> (ie, checking http://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt for captive
> portal). This would be similar to the geolocation section (no logs are
> kept aside from ip logs) and it can be disabled by removing that
> package.

I wasn't a fan of including the geolocation details in the policy.
Now the policy requires upkeep based on Fedora technical
implementations.  The same applies to NM-c-c-f[*].  I'd love it if we
could avoid packing more of these into the policy.

In any case, I believe this clause would cover the plugin:

"Fedora's online services automatically capture IP addresses. We use IP
addresses to:
* Help ensure the security of your interaction with our services"

Perhaps a wiki page for privacy increasing customizations is called
for, where we could consolidate such settings or tweaks.

* * *
[*] This acronym included specifically for Josh ;-)